This recipe for Cornbread with Chipotle Butter and Spring Onions is from London’s Caravan King’s Cross. It’s a beautiful combination of simple cornbread and a spicy chipotle butter. A perfect way to bring the restaurant to your own home!
If you would like to learn more about this brunch spot, I have recently written about my lovely visit to Caravan King’s Cross.
Cornbread with Chipotle ButterPrint Recipe
- 400 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 60 g butter - melted
- 200 g corn
- 1/2 bunch of spring onions - chopped
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 g butter - softened
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle - minced
- juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
- lime wedges
- spring onions - chopped
- coriander (cilantro) - chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- In a medium bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, butter, corn and spring onions.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the polenta, bread flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt.
- Combine the two bowls together and immediately pour into a lined loaf tin and place immediately into the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cook for 4 minutes before turning the bread out of the tin onto a cooling rack.
- Once the loaf is cool, trim off the ends of the cornbread, and slice the remainder of the loaf into 8 equal slices.
- Set aside until the chipotle butter is made. You can also make the chipotle butter ahead of time.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Serve while the butter is still soft.
- The chipotle butter can be made ahead of time and stored it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat a dash of oil.
- Carefully place the slices of cornbread in the pan and fry until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip the slices and fry again until the bottom is golden brown.
- Repeat this process until all the cornbread slices have been browned.
- Place two slices of browned cornbread on a plate and top with a generous dollop of the chipotle butter.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves, a wedge of lime, and some sliced spring onions.
All photos for this post are taken by Lucy J. Toms.