Healthy Breakfast Bowl with Beans and Sweet Potatoes (GF)
This Healthy Breakfast Bowl is loaded with protein! Packed with sweet potatoes and beans, and topped with a fried egg and a honey lime dressing for a flavorful vegetarian breakfast. Also gluten free.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and cubed into 1-cm pieces
- 1 bag Birds Eye Mexican Bean Mix (Frozen) (450 grams)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ripe avocados (I use 1/3 avocado per bowl) - sliced, for serving
- salad cheese (such as feta or queso fresco) - for topping
- 6 medium eggs (I use 1 egg per bowl) - cooked to your liking
- salt and pepper - as desired, for serving
Honey Lime Dressing
- 2 whole limes - juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium clove garlic - minced
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Make the Honey Lime Dressing
In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients, except the oil. Slowly add in the oil, whisking everything together until emulsified and smooth. Set aside. TIP: I always use my milk frother wand to quickly make the dressing.
Make the Breakfast Bowl
Heat the oil in a large skillet (30-cm) on medium-high heat. Add in the onions and sweet potatoes and stir for 2 minutes, until they are coated in the olive oil and the onions are just starting to soften.
Add in the Birds Eye Mexican Bean Mix directly from frozen and stir until everything is mixed. Add in about 2-3 tablespoons of water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are cooked, and the water has cooked away.- If you find that the sweet potatoes are browning before they are softened, add in more water as needed.
- If you find that the sweet potatoes are softened but there's too much water in the pan still, then remove the lid and allow the water to cook away.
- Your pan's lid may lose more or less steam than mine, so adjust accordingly.
If you multi-task in the kitchen, in the meantime, prepare the fried eggs to top. Otherwise, wait until the bean mixture is done before preparing the fried eggs.
Once the sweet potatoes and beans are cooked, pour on the lime dressing. Sauté for a minute, stirring to coat everything in the dressing.
Evenly divide the breakfast bowl to serve. Top with avocado slices, salad cheese, and a fried egg.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 352mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1.8mg