Dark Chocolate Waffles with Mascarpone Whip
Wake up to a decadent breakfast with these Dark Chocolate Waffles. Generously top each dark chocolate waffle with a scoop of creamy and tangy Mascarpone Whip. Hold the maple syrup, but to truly indulge, top with some hot chocolate syrup.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 waffles
Dark Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280 grams)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (48 grams)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs - separated
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk (420 milliliters)
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil (80 milliliters)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone (210 grams)
- 2/3 cups double cream (160 milliliters)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- powdered sugar (for serving)
- fresh raspberries (for serving)
Make the dark chocolate waffles
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
In a separate medium bowl, beat together the egg yolks, milk, oil, sugars and vanilla extract.
In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
Add the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, and mix until well combined. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. The batter will be a thick liquid consistency.
Pour or scoop the mixture into a hot waffle iron (I used a ¼ cup measuring cup for each waffle, but waffle makers vary). Cook waffles for 3½ - 4 minutes, until cooked through. Once done, transfer the waffles to a cooling rack.
Make the mascarpone whip
Add the mascarpone, double cream and sugar into a medium bowl. Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds into the bowl.
Using a handheld beater, beat everything together on low speed until just mixed, about 10 seconds.
Calories: 654kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1150IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 297mg | Iron: 3.5mg