Chocolate Beet Muffins
These Chocolate and Beet Muffins are a real surprise! The beets make the muffin incredibly moist and hearty. The earthy flavor of the beets highlight the rich chocolate taste. It’s the perfect breakfast muffin with a dose of vegetable and touch of chocolate.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 2 medium-sized beets (250 grams beetroot) (raw)
- scant 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (175 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk (60 milliliters)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (75 grams) - lightly packed
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (55 grams)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (55 grams) - room temperature
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil (60 milliliters)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (150 grams)
Preheat oven to 355°F/180°C.
Peel the beets and grate in food processor with a grating disc. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
In a large bowl using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together the sugars, butter and oil. Using the hand mixer on low speed, beat in the egg mixture. Slowly fold in the flour mixture.
Using a spatula, mix in the grated beets and chocolate chips.
Evenly divide the batter into 12 muffin cases. Each case should be about ¾ full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are springy to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1.3mg