These Healthy Toddler Muffins are perfect for breakfast, but also work as a healthy snack or lunch. This is an easy muffin recipe for kids. Make one batter and choose from 4 different mix-ins to get variety, including a vegetable muffin!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 24 mini muffins
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour (also called golden wholegrain flour)
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (jumbo rolled oats)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (milled flax seeds)
- 1 small apple - grated with peel
- 2 medium eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - melted
Apple Cinnamon (enough for 1/4 of the muffin batter)
- 1/2 small apple - chopped into 1/2-cm pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Blueberries (enough for 1/4 of the muffin batter)
- 1 handful blueberries (blueberries vary in size, but aim for about 2-3 blueberries in each muffin)
Carrot and Raisin (enough for 1/4 of the muffin batter)
- 1/4 medium carrot - grated
- 1 tablespoon raisins
Chocolate Chip (enough for 1/4 of the muffin batter)
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C. Grease or line a 24-hole mini muffin tin.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and flax seeds. Fold in the grated apples.
In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the milk and butter.
Pour the egg mixture into the batter, and fold together, being careful not to over mix.
Split the muffin batter evenly between 4 bowls. In each bowl, gently mix in the mix-in ingredient. You can adapt the recipe to make 1, 2, 3 or 4 varieties. Adjust the amount of mix-in as required.
Using a cookie scoop, evenly distribute the batter into the mini muffin tin, filling each muffin cup about 3/4 full. For each variety, you should be able to get 6 mini muffins.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until cooked in the middle and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
Calories: 81kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4% | Vitamin C: 0.9% | Calcium: 4.4% | Iron: 2.4%