These S'mores Pancakes are cute and fun, and the kids love them! Skewer mini pancakes with Nutella, and top each one with a marshmallow.
Nutella + Mini Pancakes + Marshmallow + Skewers = Super Cute Breakfast
I'm a lover of all things Nutella. I enjoy it as a spread just as much as I love it straight from the jar. But one of my favorite pairings of all is Nutella and pancakes.
The way this sweet, chocolatey spread melts on a warm pancake just takes breakfast to another level.
This recipe for Nutella Crêpes was my first Nutella pancake post on The Worktop. This combination still makes me just as happy as it did the first time I tried it 20 years ago, served from a food truck.
Because I love Nutella and pancakes so much, I'm excited to give you another Nutella pancake recipe - S'mores Pancakes! Hopefully you'll want s'more pancakes after you try it once!
Everyone loves this fun pancake idea
I decided to make these pancakes resemble little s'mores by adding a marshmallow on top. These would also taste great with a strawberry or banana (Nutella's classic best friend) instead of a marshmallow.
I like to serve these mini pancakes in small stacks, held together with a skewer. Serving on a skewer makes them:
- Fun! Especially for kids.
- Easy to serve and eat.
- Cute when plated up.
Check out my Mini Pancake Skewers for another fun pancake idea that is slightly healthier.
Serve these cute pancakes at brunch parties
These are a great bite-sized dish to serve at brunch parties! You and your guests will love them because:
- They are very simple to prepare ahead of time.
- Mini pancakes make an adorable finger food.
- Using skewers is a fun way to serve pancakes.
- Nutella and pancakes are a winning combination. It's hard to find someone who doesn't like them.
- These are fun for kids and adults.
- They are a creative alternative to cake or cookies.
If you happen to be hosting a brunch party soon and you need more ideas, be sure to check out this post for tips and inspiration.
Serve Nutella Pancakes for a baby shower brunch
Hosting a brunch-themed baby shower is an adorable idea for anyone who is expecting.
I recently served these pancakes at a baby shower and they were a hit! I made a cute tag with "adding s'more to the family" to tie into the baby shower theme.
The S'mores Pancakes were so cute with the rest of the baby shower brunch spread!
Are you planning to host a baby shower soon? Keep an eye out for a post on How to Host a Baby Shower Brunch, coming soon!
How do you make mini pancakes?
If you've never made pancakes from scratch, don't worry! It's very easy. Simply follow these directions and you'll wonder why you ever relied on the boxed mix in the first place.
A few tips to make perfect pancakes:
- Don't over-stir - only stir until you don't see any more streaks of flour. A few lumps are okay! Over-stirring makes pancakes tough.
- Let the batter sit for a few minutes before cooking - This gives the batter a chance to form air bubbles, which make them fluffy.
- Drop batter with a measuring spoon- these pancakes need to be uniform in size.
How to cook mini pancakes
Remember, these pancakes are "mini" - only 1 ½-inch after they're cooked. Therefore, each pancake only requires 1 teaspoon of batter.
These cook very quickly, which is good but tricky at the same time.
My method to avoid burning mini pancakes:
- Drop several pancakes on your pan or griddle at the same time (I cook 8 at a time).
- Once you drop the last pancake, it's time go back and flip, starting with the first pancake.
- Similarly, once you flip the last pancake, you can go back and remove the others from the griddle one at a time.
TIP: Pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles form and the edges appear dry.
It may seem like a tedious process, but these pancakes cook so quickly that the entire process actually takes very little time.
To save time, you can wait a few seconds longer, and then remove all of the pancakes at once with a single slide.
TIP: Use a mini brownie spatula to flip the mini pancakes.
Tips for assembling mini S'mores Pancakes
Now, onto the fun part of this breakfast! Well, besides eating them of course.
First, be sure the pancakes are cool. Next, gather everything you need to assemble the S'mores Pancakes:
- Toothpicks - Regular toothpicks are a bit too short. I used 4-inch cocktail sticks in the photos.
- Nutella - Instead of spreading the Nutella, just add a small dollop in the middle of each pancake. Next, gently press the top pancake down and the Nutella will spread evenly.
- Marshmallows - I use regular-sized marshmallows, but cut them in half.
Lastly, assemble the skewers in this order: pancake, Nutella, pancake, Nutella, marshmallow.
How much Nutella to use in S'mores Pancakes
Ideally, you will have just enough Nutella between the pancakes to spread evenly to the edges and show. Using too much - if there is such a thing as too much Nutella- can be messy and overpowering.
I normally put about 1 teaspoon of Nutella between the pancakes.
Finding the perfect amount of Nutella might take some trial and error the first time you make these. No worries - if you're like me, you'll be dying to sneak a bite anyways!
S'mores Pancakes are a fun brunch idea
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out some of my other fun brunch ideas:
- Muffin Tin Eggs - This filling breakfast can be made ahead of time!
- Honey Granola - A favorite in our house.
- Breakfast Quesadilla - A unique and healthy brunch idea.
I hope you try these mini S'mores Pancakes soon
This is a simple and creative way to delight anyone you know who loves pancakes, Nutella or s'mores. The combination of all 3 is out of this world. I hope you try this cute breakfast soon!
Any questions? Feel free to ask below. And I’d love to hear how you liked the S'mores Pancakes in the comments below.
S'mores Pancakes (Mini Nutella Pancake Skewers)Print Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
For the mini pancakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
To make the pancake skewers
- ¼ - ½ cup Nutella (use as much as needed)
- 9 large marshmallows (plus a couple extra just in case) - cut in half
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the buttermilk, egg and butter. Whisk everything together until just combined.
- Preheat a griddle on medium to medium-high heat. Brush on a bit of butter or oil on the pan. Drop the pancake batter on the pan using a teaspoon.
- Cook until there are bubbles on the surface, the underside of the pancake is lightly golden, and the edges are starting to look dry, about 1 minute. Flip and cook for an additional 1 minute until the other side is light golden. These are small pancakes so they will cook very quickly.
- Transfer the pancakes to a plate to allow them to cool. Once cooled, using 2 small spoons, drop on about 1 teaspoon of Nutella on one pancake. Top with a second pancake, gently pushing down until you can see the Nutella from the sides. Drop on another teaspoon of Nutella on top of the second pancake. Top with a cut marshmallow, gently pushing down until you can see the Nutella from the sides.
- Insert a 4-inch skewer into the center of each stack. Repeat with remaining pancakes. You should be able to make approximately 18 pancake skewers.
Leave a Reply