If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, make this breakfast quesadilla for an easy breakfast. It's healthy with lots of veggies and protein too.
Healthy breakfast quesadilla recipe
This breakfast quesadilla is a hearty and healthy breakfast recipe. It's great for the entire family. On weekdays, it keeps me going until lunch break. On weekends, we gather around to have this at brunch.
What makes this quesadilla healthy:
- whole wheat tortillas for protein and fiber
- chicken for protein
- black beans for protein and fiber
- cheese for protein
- tomatoes for veggies
How to make a breakfast quesadilla
Making a breakfast quesadilla is easy, but it does takes two steps and two pans.
- First: you have to cook the filling in a frying pan.
- Second: then you can put the filling in the quesadilla and cook it on a big skillet.
That being said, you do save some time with this recipe by using leftover rotisserie chicken.
Make the leftover chicken and egg filling
I use 5-ingredients in this healthy breakfast quesadilla:
- leftover rotisserie chicken
- green peppers
- black beans
The full recipe is below, but here's a quick run down.
- First, sauté the green peppers until soft.
- Next, add in the leftover rotisserie chicken, black beans and eggs. Sauté until the eggs are just about cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese. The residual heat will help it melt slightly and hold the filling together.
TIP: Definitely don't worry about the presentation of the filling.
Tips for making the breakfast quesadilla
I make these quesadillas by using two tortillas and the placing the filling in the middle. You can also make this breakfast quesadilla as a folded quesadilla.
Either way works, but I prefer the two tortilla method because I can feed more people at once. Cut it up like a pizza, throw on some toppings, and everyone digs in.
TIP: While it's tempting to make a fully stuffed quesadilla, try not to overfill it. It will make it harder to flip.
This is a hearty breakfast with leftover rotisserie chicken
This is a favorite weekday breakfast because it's relatively quick. I started making it because it solved my problem of what to do with leftover rotisserie chicken.
But now, I actually plan to make this breakfast quesadilla when we have rotisserie chicken. On those nights, I'll set some chicken aside before dinner is even served, so we can have a hearty breakfast the next day.
It works for our family because everyone likes to eat the dark meat for dinner. Then the rotisserie chicken breast gets used in this breakfast quesadilla.
If you are looking for other ideas for leftover rotisserie chicken, you can try this recipe for Breakfast Enchiladas too.
Other breakfast recipes with chicken that you'll love:
- Breakfast Enchiladas with leftover rotisserie chicken
- Chicken and Ginger Congee
- Instant Pot Congee with Chicken
- Chicken and Chives Rolled Crepes
- Sweet Potato Chicken Hash by Hungry Girl por Vida
Breakfast QuesadillaPrint Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
- ¼ cup cooked shredded rotisserie chicken meat (about ½ a chicken breast)
- ½ medium green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooked black beans
- 2 large eggs - beaten
- ¾ cup shredded cheese (mix of Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 medium tomato - seeds removed and diced
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- Heat some oil in a medium skillet, and add in the green peppers. Sauté until softened. Mix in the chicken and black beans. Pour in the beaten eggs. Scramble everything together until cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the shredded cheese.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Place on a tortilla. Evenly pour on the scrambled egg filling. Cover with a second tortilla and gently press down with a spatula. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the tortilla is golden brown on the bottom.
- Quickly check the inside of the quesadilla. The cheese should have melted enough that it is holding the ingredients together. Quickly and carefully, flip the quesadilla over. If some of the ingredients fall out, place it back into the quesadilla. Cook until the other side is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges to serve. Top with your favorite toppings and a squeeze of lime.
Leave a Reply