Farewell to summer here in London. It's been a fabulous welcome to the city, filled with sunshine and clear skies. One last hurrah, Mr. Sun? Please? Woke up today to a dreary grey sky. I tried to shirk my run, but got a bit motivated when a friend told me that I just needed to go for it, and “jump in with the London weather.” Sitting around at home studying the weather maps was not going to do me any good. London just rains when it wants to. No regard to the predictions.
Then, there was a slight break in the rain. I strapped on my shoes and left. But not more than 15 steps into my run, I started to feel the drops fall from the sky. And it just kept raining. I kept telling myself that I always get good karma when I go for a run. Stay positive! And today was no different .... I found myself running right past St. John Restaurant. Wait! Here's the good karma! I turned around, and today, lucky lucky me, St. John had a salted caramel custard filled doughnut right at the counter. Nothin' wrong with taking a break during a run.
London has been full of pleasant surprises and smiles for me. And here's a brief recap of what’s been going on these past few weeks:
1. I'm a barista! Come and visit me at The Espresso Room. I’m a bit short, and the espresso machines and grinders are a bit large, so you may need to look around to spot me pulling the shots. I'm also going to be managing the food consumables sold at the shop. And by the way, those delicious things in the picture below? Brûléed custard tarts.
2. Discovered that there is a city farm only 15 minutes away, meaning there are chickens and fresh herbs and plants growing just down the street.
3. Even better, I have my own basil plant now. Feeling homey here.
4. The Vanilla Extract with London Dry Gin that I started in May turned out amazing, after sitting in the cupboard for many weeks. I've been adding it to everything. Even my oatmeal and coffee. And pancakes and whipped cream.
5. I went to high tea at Sanderson Hotel and nearly ate this entire tray of goodies!
6. Lastly, I now have a stamp for the Worktop. Be ready for some over-stamping on everything.
Six weeks after leaving LA, London is starting to feel like home.