Make Easy Peanut Butter Balls with just a few healthy ingredients. This is a no bake recipe for a protein rich energy ball that is delicious.
Easy Peanut Butter Balls make a healthy weekday breakfast
A good grab and go breakfast that fuels you through the morning is so important on busy weekdays. Even better are make ahead breakfast recipes that you can prepare ahead of time. And, it's a plus if the recipe is easy to make.
I developed this Easy Peanut Butter Ball recipe to satisfy all those needs. This recipe is:
- easy to make
- a filling grab and go breakfast
- a delicious make ahead breakfast
I'll also leave it here that this is a healthy peanut butter ball recipe. On that note, I'll take you to the nitty gritty of the recipe.
What is in peanut butter balls?
All the ingredients in these Easy Peanut Butter Balls are wholesome and healthy. As such, you'll get lots of protein and fiber, and no refined sugars.
This recipe is also vegan and gluten free (so long as you make sure to use gf free oats).
Ingredients for peanut butter balls:
- old fashioned oats
- ground flaxseeds
- natural smooth peanut butter (preferably use one that is made with 100% peanuts, or with a touch of salt)
- vanilla powder (I much prefer vanilla powder, but you can also replace with vanilla extract)
- pinch of salt (if using an unsalted peanut butter)
- maple syrup
A note about the vanilla powder
I use vanilla powder in this recipe because I like that it does not add any liquid or alcohol in the recipe. It seems to be something that's easier to buy in the UK than the US though.
After much searching on US Amazon to help you find the right vanilla powder, these products have pure ingredients.
- Wilderness Poets Pure Vanilla Powder - Organic Vanilla Bean Powder
- Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder
- Heilala Pure Ground Vanilla Bean Powder
However, you may want to check your local health stores to see if you can find them sold for cheaper. I'm not too familiar with buying locally though.
Alternatively, you can also make your own vanilla powder.
How do you make easy peanut butter balls?
Making peanut butter balls is quick and easy - this is a no bake recipe. I use a food processor in this recipe because it helps break down the oats to the perfect texture and blends everything together easily and quickly. Think of this as a three step recipe.
Instructions to make no bake peanut butter balls:
- STEP 1: Blitz the oats, flaxseeds, peanut butter, vanilla powder, salt (if using), and maple syrup in a strong food processor.
- STEP 2: Check to make sure the mixture holds together, and adjust as necessary by adding in some water if needed.
- STEP 3: Roll peanut butter balls so they are 1 tablespoon in size.
The full directions are below in the recipe section.
If you don't have a food processor (or are looking for something else), try this Oatmeal Energy Ball. This recipe also makes a delicious grab and go breakfast option. It's one basic batter with four different flavor mix-ins.
Frequently asked questions about these easy peanut butter balls
Should no bake peanut butter balls be refrigerated?
It’s best to store no bake peanut butter balls in the refrigerator, but you can leave them out at room temperature if you are going to eat it that day.
Keeping the peanut butter balls refrigerated will help them keep their shape better. You can store them all in one container, and layer parchment paper in between layers.
What's the best way to transport them?
Here are some great little containers to transport the energy balls so they don’t get smushed in the commute. On rushed mornings, I pop a few energy balls in a container, then I’m out the door.
For my kid's lunch, I'll pack just one energy ball in this small container. Perfect size!
Can I make these without a food processor?
Unfortunately, I haven't tested this no bake peanut butter ball recipe without a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, I think you'll love these recipes instead:
Oatmeal Energy Balls - one batter, four mix-ins.
Almond Butter Energy Balls - These energy balls are made with almond butter, coconut flour, chia seeds, maple syrup and cinnamon. It’s a vegan, gluten free, paleo and high protein recipe.
Easy Peanut Butter Balls (No Bake Recipe) (Vegan, GF)Print Recipe Save Recipe
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats (rolled oats)
- ½ cup ground flaxseeds (milled linseeds)
- ¾ cup natural smooth peanut butter (preferably use one that is made with 100% peanuts, or with a touch of salt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (you can also replace with vanilla extract; see notes)
- pinch salt (if using an unsalted peanut butter)
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons water (use more as needed)
- Process the oats, flaxseeds, peanut butter, vanilla powder, salt (if using), and maple syrup in a strong food processor. Everything will start off very crumbly, but then it should start to come together a bit. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- When everything is well pulsed, try to pinch a bit of the mixture together and see if it holds together. If it is too crumbly, add in a bit of water about ½ a tablespoon at a time. Different peanut butter brands vary, which affects how much water you need, if any.
- Roll into balls about 1 tablespoon in size. Store covered in the refrigerator. You may need to separate layers with parchment paper.