Three breakfast sushi recipes - Avocado on Dukkah Rice, Smoked Salmon on Black Pepper and Cream Cheese Rice and Blackberries on Cinnamon Maple Syrup Rice. Perfect sushi recipes for a centerpiece at the bunch table, or packed in a bento box to go.
National Rice Week starts on Monday, so let's kick it off early with these Breakfast Sushi Recipes!
These breakfast sushi recipes are inspired by my favorite breakfast flavor combinations: my go-to at any London coffee shop is avocado and dukkah on toast. When I am back in the US, smoked salmon and cream cheese is what I always get on bagels. And at home, I always stay stocked up with berries and maple syrup because you never know when homemade waffles strike!
I've taken those three breakfast favorites and created three breakfast sushi recipes out of them: Avocado on Dukkah Rice, Smoked Salmon on Black Pepper and Cream Cheese Rice, and Blackberries on Cinnamon Maple Syrup Rice.
Essentially, it's a three course sushi breakfast! Start out with the "appetizer" of Avocado and Dukkah Rice. Move on to the "main course" with the Smoked Salmon on Black Pepper and Cream Cheese Rice. Lastly, finish up with the "dessert" of Blackberry on Cinnamon Maple Rice. Don't forget to brew a pot of tea to pair with these breakfast sushi.
Avocado on Dukkah Rice
Smoked Salmon on Black Pepper and Cream Cheese Rice
Blackberry on Cinnamon Maple Rice
I hope you find these breakfast sushi recipes fun to make, but you do need some patience to form each one of the nigiri rice balls. Once you finish though, you end up with a beautiful platter that can be the centerpiece of a brunch table. Equally, you can pack this breakfast into a bento box and take the breakfast sushis to go. Have your breakfast sushi at your desk at work, or better yet, at a picnic!
There are three different breakfast sushi recipes below, but you start by making just one batch of sushi rice, then portioning it out into three different bowls. Flavor the rice in each of the three different bowls, and you're ready to sit down and get to the sushi-making!
I'll point out that the sushi rice for the Black Pepper and Cream Cheese Rice and the Cinnamon Maple Syrup Rice is stickier than normal sushi rice, so it is a little tricker to handle. One tip is to keep a bowl of water nearby to dip your fingers and the nigiri mould into it between each set. The water will help the rice pop out of the nigiri moulds easier, and you can use some water to help smooth out the rice once you've popped it out of the mould. As the water dries, the nigiri rice balls will set nicely, ready for you to add on the toppings.
I have many more ideas for breakfast sushis, so these sushi recipes are just the beginning. Keep your eyes peeled for more breakfast sushi recipes coming soon!
Breakfast Bento SushiPrint Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
Basic sushi rice
- 1 ½ cups sushi rice (270 grams)
- 2 cups water (470 milliliters)
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar (18 grams)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (30 milliliters)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
Avocado and Dukkah Sushi (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon dukkah
- ½ ripe avocado - sliced
- roasted black sesame (for topping)
- cayenne pepper (for topping)
Smoked Salmon and Black Pepper Cream Cheese Sushi
- 1 ½ tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- seaweed furikake (for topping)
Basic Sushi Rice
- Rinse and drain the sushi rice three times. In a small bowl, add the sushi rice and water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, covered.
- In a small bowl, heat the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the vinegar mixture over the sushi rice and mix.
- Divide the sushi rice evenly into 3 bowls (each bowl will be about 250 grams).
Note on using the rice moulds
- Mix the rice according to the directions below. Once the rice is mixed, form them in the nigiri moulds. To do so, wet your hands and dip the nigiri moulds in water before adding in the rice. Note that the black pepper cream cheese and cinnamon maple syrup rice mixtures tend to be a bit stickier than regular sushi rice. Once you remove the rice from the nigiri moulds, if needed, wet your hands with water and smooth out the sides.
Avocado and Dukkah Rice
- Mix the dukkah into the sushi rice. Form the rice in the moulds.
- Top each with a thin slice of avocado. Sprinkle roasted black sesame on the top. Finish with a dash of cayenne pepper on top.
Smoked Salmon and Black Pepper Cream Cheese Rice
- Mix the cream cheese and black pepper into the sushi rice. Form the rice in the moulds.
- Cut the smoked salmon into 1-inch by 2-inch strips. Gently roll the strips and place each smoke salmon roll on top of the rice. Top with a generous sprinkle of seaweed furikake.
Berries and Cinnamon Maple Syrup Rice
- Mix the maple syrup and cinnamon into the sushi rice. Form the rice in the moulds.
- Place a blackberry onto the rice. Drizzle with additional maple syrup.