This Coconut Black Rice recipe is very simple to make, but does take a bit of patience since the rice needs time to soak and simmer. Black rice is highly nutritious, making this a perfect choice for breakfast.
I started eating black rice when a friend of mine brought me some after I gave birth to Milo. Black rice is one of the foods Chinese women often eat during the traditional Confinement practice. It is highly nutritious and is supposed to help the body recover. I didn't follow much of the Confinement rules, but I did happily eat bowls and bowls of black rice!
Not only is black rice nutritious, it is incredibly delicious and versatile. Black rice has a distinct nutty taste, and the grains hold their shape well enough that you can feel a light chew as you bite into each one. Though this Coconut Black Rice recipe calls for the black rice to be simmered for 1 hour and 45 minutes, the rice does not turn mushy like white rice does in congee.
With this Coconut Black Rice recipe, make sure you're using coconut milk and not coconut water because you will want a rich, creamy base to go with a chewy black rice. I also like to add coconut flakes to reinforce the flavor, and to give it a bit more texture. To continue with the tropical theme, I often top it with kiwi slices, which offers a bit of tang to counter the sweetness of the coconut.
If you don't like kiwis, you can substitute another soft fruit like mango or strawberries. Or as I often do, you can serve this Coconut Black Rice recipe straight without any additional fruit on top. You get a simple bowl of goodness with no frills.
This Coconut Black Rice recipe can be made the night before and stored in the refrigerator overnight. The coconut milk tends to thicken when it is chilled and gets a bit gritty, so I'd recommend popping it in the microwave before eating. As the weather is getting cooler too, this is one breakfast that will warm you up through the fall and winter.
As a heads up, I'll be celebrating National Rice Week (September 19-25) on The Worktop next week! I'm a huge fan of rice for breakfast, and I can't wait. You'll be getting two more rice based recipes, and they aren't ones to miss. So stay tuned!
Coconut Black Rice (Vegan, GF)Print Recipe
- ½ cup black rice (95 grams) - soaked for at least 2 hours and up to overnight
- 1 ½ cups water (350 milliliters)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (400 milliliters)
- 2-4 tablespoons dark brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 handful coconut chips (for serving)
- 1 kiwi - sliced (for serving)
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add in the black rice and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Simmer for an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the brown sugar to taste.
- Top with coconut chips and kiwi slices for serving.