These Puff Pastry Breakfast Hand Pies have the quintessential breakfast combination of sausage, egg and cheese. Sometimes you just need some classic comfort food. This recipe is very easy to make, and this is a fun and exciting way to use puff pastry for breakfast.
These breakfast hand pies are filled with the quintessential breakfast combination of sausage, egg and cheese
Sausage, egg and cheese is one of the quintessential breakfast combinations that I can never get enough of. Those three ingredients form the basis of many great breakfast recipes (including this Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole.)
It’s a classic flavor combination that just screams traditional and comfort food. You really can’t go wrong with it, and there are so many delicious breakfasts can do with it!
This recipe takes sausage, egg and cheese and makes them into delicious breakfast puff pastry hand pies.
Especially when we’ve had a night of interrupted sleep (which is more common than not these days thanks to our dearest 7-month old), I wake up needing something comforting, which usually also means filling and savory.
These Sausage, Egg and Cheese Hand Pies really hit the spot.
Enjoy this easy puff pastry recipe for a filling and savory breakfast
It’s also a great breakfast idea because they can be eaten without a knife and fork. These days I place a premium on foods that require only one hand to eat.
So as we sit at the breakfast table, I’ve got one hand on my breakfast pastry feeding myself, and one hand holding my little one’s spoon feeding him.
Not only is it easy to eat, it is also a very easy puff pastry recipe to make. You can use frozen puff pastry in this recipe or refrigerated puff pastry dough.
It looks unique, but this is a puff pastry breakfast that is easy to make
If you buy ready-to-use puff pastry, in a nutshell, to make this breakfast recipe, you simply need to:
- roll open the puff pastry dough,
- cut the dough to size,
- fill it,
- pinch up the corners in the middle,
- brush with a quick bit of egg (to give it it’s golden brown color on top),
- sprinkle some cheese on top (for beautiful crusty cheese), and
- pop it in the oven.
When I work with puff pastry, I always use a pastry mat. It’s so handy to use one of these sturdy mats.
With a puff pastry mat, it makes it much easier to transfer the hand pies to the baking sheet. It also makes clean up a lot easier. I love the pastry mat in the link above because it has an integrated strap that keeps mat rolled up when not in use.
(Please please take note! Since taking this picture, I’ve made the recipe multiple times again. For a foul proof way to make sure these don’t turn into breakfast pastry “boats” when the puff pastry puffs up in the oven, you really need to pinch the four corners of the puff pastry together.)
The filling is easy to make as it is all made in one pan too. You cook the sausage, add the egg, add some flavorings, and mix in cheese at the end.
If you have time, make homemade sausage for this breakfast recipe
If you have the time, I highly recommend making your own sausage meat when you make this unique breakfast puff pastry. You can follow this recipe for homemade breakfast sausage.
Scoop out the sausage meat you need (7 ounces / 200 grams) for this recipe first. Then form the rest into sausage patties to save for your next breakfast.
For those of you who have lofty breakfast ambitions, here’s a great tutorial on how to make quick and easy rough puff pastry from scratch too.
These Sausage, Egg and Cheese Hand Pies work as a great breakfast idea for when you have a group of people over for brunch too, or just a big family to feed breakfast.
Since you can pop them in the oven and they all come out at the same time, all of your hungry guests get a warm savory breakfast pastry to enjoy at the same time.
A great savory brunch recipe for a group — pop the hand pies in the oven and they all come out at the same time
But if you make these breakfast pastries and don’t have the help of guests to finish them, you can save a few for later in the day…And now that I think about it, if you are serving guests, you should just make some extras for yourself anyway!
Puff Pastry Breakfast Hand Pies with Sausage, Egg and CheesePrint Recipe
- oil (for cooking)
- 3 large sausages links (or 200 grams / 7 ounces of sausage meat)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 medium egg - additional, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (plus extra for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (plus extra for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - adjust to taste according to the type of sausage links you use
- 1-2 sheets puff pastry sheet (320 grams / 11 oz, depending on the brand you use) - thawed and ready to use
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/ 220°C.
- In a small bowl, beat together the 2 eggs and the 1 egg white. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat the single egg yolk and set aside for glazing the puff pastry.
- Heat a little oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Cut open the sausage casings and add the sausage meat to the skillet, breaking it apart with a spatula. Fry for about 5 minutes, until the sausage meat is cooked through.
- Push the sausage meat to the sides of the pan. Heat a bit more oil in the middle of the pan. Pour in the beaten eggs. Stir the eggs and sausage together, and add in the black pepper, fennel seeds and salt. Cook until the eggs are just set, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and mix in 1/4 cup of the cheese. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet according to the directions on the packet. Cut into 8-12 (depending on the size of puff pastry sheet you use) 4-inch squares. If you have 8 squares, you may have a bit of leftover filling.
- Evenly distribute the sausage, egg and cheese filling across the puff pastry squares. Fold up the corners of each puff pastry square so they meet in the middle. Gently pinch together the four corners where they meet in the middle, and slightly flatten the filled pastry so it makes a square, distributing the sausage filling to the corners. Using a brush, brush each hand pie with the egg yolk. Evenly sprinkle on the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese on top. Sprinkle on additional black pepper and fennel seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the hand pies are golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm.
Try another Puff Pastry Breakfast recipe!