Surprise yourself with a Healthy Cheesecake made with cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. It's much higher in protein than a classic cheesecake, but you'll never be able to taste the difference. Serve it with black currant jam for a beautiful sweet tang.
Sometimes people ask why I like to take something that's perfectly delicious (like a classic cheesecake) and change it (in this case, to a healthy cheesecake with cottage cheese). Often, I just like to see what I can get away with. Did I say this Beet Muffin was actually red velvet? Oops!
Surprise! A Healthy Cheesecake made with cottage cheese and Greek yogurt
I made this swap to cottage cheese though because I'm trying to find a way to add more cottage cheese into my diet. Cottage cheese is high in protein, vitamins and calcium, all of which are a good thing to include in a breakfast.
It's much higher in protein than a classic cheesecake, but you'll never be able to taste the difference
Prior to the 1980s, cottage cheese overshadowed yogurt sales and was tooted as a health food. But halfway through the 1980s, yogurt took off and left cottage cheese sales in the dust.
While yogurt consumption has increased 7 fold, cottage cheese consumption has halved (read more about the trend from NPR).
I remember eating cottage cheese as a kid every time I went to a self-serve salad bar. I'd always have it with melon and pineapple, and it was really tasty.
At some point, I started eating a lot more yogurt instead of cottage cheese. I seemed to have forgotten about cottage cheese, until I became pregnant and I started scouring the Internet about what health foods I should eat.
Cottage cheese appeared on almost every list of 'best foods for pregnant women' because it's high in protein!
After multiple tubs of cottage cheese with fruit and toast, I started craving something new and knew I needed to make a healthy cheesecake with cottage cheese.
When I shared this cheesecake, no one even noticed that instead of cream cheese in it, I made it with cottage cheese and greek yogurt.
It's much higher in protein than a classic cheesecake, and to me, that's a thumbs up because our baby is getting nutrients while I'm getting a slice of heavenly cheesecake.
Make this Healthy Cheesecake even healthier by using a spelt crust and topping it with fresh fruit and granola
If you want to make this even healthier, you can use the spelt crust from this Breakfast Greek Yogurt Cheesecake, and top it with granola and fresh fruit instead of jam. Good morning to cheesecake!
This healthy cottage cheese cheesecake is topped with black currant jam in the photos. But if you would like a healthier topping, try using this Easy Blueberry Jam with Chia Seeds (the jam is made with no refined sugar).
Healthy Cheesecake with Cottage CheesePrint Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
For the crust
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (140 grams) (also works with digestive crumbs)
- ¼ cup caster sugar (50 grams)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (85 grams) melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the cheesecake filling
- 2 ⅓ cups cottage cheese (500 grams)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (200 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup (75 grams)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ bourbon vanilla bean
For the blackcurrant jam
- ¾ cup blackcurrants (150 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 3 tablespoons water (50 milliliters)
- Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper on the bottom. Oil the sides of the pan if it is not non-stick.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 176°C.
To make the crust
- In a large bowl, mix everything together.
- Gently press the crust into the lined pan. I find it easiest to use a small piece of parchment paper to cover my fingers, and press down on the crust. Set aside.
To make the cheesecake filling
- In a food processor or blender on low speed, blend the cottage cheese and Greek yogurt together until it is smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs together. Beat the eggs, maple syrup and flour into the cottage cheese mixture. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod and mix into the cheesecake.
- Pour everything into the pan. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until the cheesecake is set.
To make the blackcurrant jam
- In a medium saucepan, mix everything together. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Allow to cool before topping on the cheesecake.
- The cheesecake is best chilled, or at room temperature.
can i use kefir or sour cream instead of greak yogurt?
K B says
This recipe was easy. Cooked in tge instant pot 40 min then
natural release. Turned out perfect. Thank you.
I’ve made this twice. I throw everything in a blender and blitz it smooth and it’s perfect. Make a quick cherry jam on the stove and it’s amazing!! Thank you !!
Oh and I use fat free cheesecake and Greek yogurt and it’s still amazing!
Added Cointreau and a little home made limoncello to filling to achieve citrusy notes. And served with blended strawberry puree.
Definately on par with cream cheese cheesecake both structure and taste.
This is the recipe for my recipe drawer!!!
I made this cheesecake. Since my eggs were on the small side I used 3, which gave it a more custardy consistency. To make it more diabetic friendly I used sugar free maple syrup and did not use a crust. Instead of the current topping I used a strawberry puree. In general it was delicious and as a diabetic it is nice to have dessert. Very easy to make!
Love this cheesecake! I've made it a few times and it comes out perfectly each time. Any idea what the carb/protein/fat content is?
Mmmm tastes perfect everytime! Once had a friend who hates cottage cheese try and they couldn't tell. Of course I told him afterwards what's in it.
I don't usually don't make the jam but top it with whatever I have in the fridge. No guilt eating it for breakfast!
Rose P says
I bought cottage cheese in error (wanted sour cream) and since I had it
now I decided to search the web for recipes that use cottage cheese and found this recipe. I'm more of an eater than a baker, but decided to give this a try. It's such an easy recipe to follow and the end result is a winner. Looks and tastes delicious and I will definitely be baking this one again! Look at me, I can bake . Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!
Hello, Thank you for posting this. I would like to make it. What fat content cottage cheese and yogurt did you use?
Tina Jui says
Thanks for asking! I use full fat versions when I make this recipe. Enjoy the cheesecake!
Soooo good. Will save this recipe and make it again.
It is the best cheesecake ever.