Whether you've had harissa or not, try pairing it with caramelized onions like in this Harissa Onion And Poached Egg on Toast. The sweet and spicy flavors of caramelized onions and harissa are topped on a layer of cool Greek yogurt.
I had never heard of harissa until I moved to London in 2013, and I was introduced to it by my boss at the coffee shop who always told me, as I developed the menu, "Make sure you add some harissa in the sandwiches!" I had a blank look the first time, but he bought me a tube of it, and I only needed to try it once to understand the request.
If harissa is new to you, like it was for me, it's a thick chili paste with a mix of spices thrown in. It mainly consist of red chilies, red peppers, garlic, olive oil, and tomato paste, with a mix of aromatic spices such as caraway, coriander, cumin, fennel, and paprika. Some may also include a dash of lemon juice or red wine vinegar. Every recipe is slightly different, and for me, that's part of its never ending novelty.
I've since seen harissa served on just about all of the brunch menus here in London. In retrospect, I suppose my boss was ahead of his time because Food and Wine called harissa the next sriracha in 2014 and Time Magazine named it one of the top six food trends in 2015! Is it popular where you are located? Do you remember the first time you had harissa?
For a good while after I learned of its existence, I was adding harissa to everything. It pairs particularly well with caramelized onions, so I created this Harissa Onion And Poached Egg on Toast recipe to share today. Keep in mind that every store bought jar or tube of harissa will taste slightly different, so you may have to adjust the amount of harissa to control for the spiciness level!
Harissa Onion and Poached Egg ToastPrint Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion - cut half and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic - thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 slice thick of rustic bread
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (50 grams)
- 1 egg - poached
- 1 small handful fresh mint - chopped
- honey (for topping)
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, stir fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil, until the onion is softened and the garlic is starting to brown. Mix in the harissa and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Evenly spread the yogurt on the bread. Top with the harissa and onion mixture. Top with a poached egg. Garnish with the mint and finish with a drizzle of honey.