These Sweet Potato Pancakes are topped with Marshmallow Sauce for an extra special Thanksgiving breakfast! Sweet potatoes and marshmallows should be best friends for life.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner! I love Thanksgiving sides, so you may have noticed quite a few of the usuals turning into breakfasts on here. In case you missed it, first up was Blueberry Cornbread Muffins. Then I shared a Breakfast Cornbread with Turkey and Cheese. As you can guess, cornbread is one of my favorite Thanksgiving sides (perhaps inspired by the time I spent in Texas?)
Today, I’ve turned one of my other favorite Thanksgiving sides – sweet potatoes with marshmallows – into breakfast! These Sweet Potato Pancakes with Marshmallow Sauce are made in honor of the side dish that my dear friend always made for our annual Friendsgiving when I was living in Chicago.
It became a tradition where she would turn up with her sweet potato casserole and ask to just pop it in the oven to brown the marshmallows on top. I’d happily oblige and make room in the top shelf of the oven to broil the marshmallows. Once everything was set on the table, the first person to dig into the sweet potato casserole (usually her husband) would sigh and mutter “I told you so, just like last year, the sweet potatoes are still under cooked…” Every single year. The sweet potato casserole would end up back in the oven, and become the last dish to be set out on the table – just in time for everyone’s second helping of food :)
That extra wait time and anticipation always made it extra tasty. Sweet potatoes and marshmallows should be best friends for life. So this recipe is dedicated to my sweet (potato loving) friend, who I miss dearly! Thanks for the many years of always being in charge of the sweet potato casserole!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed (about ¾ cups (200 grams) of mashed sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour (or a mixture of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- small piece of chocolate, for grating on top
- 1½ cups (170 grams) marshmallow fluff
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Beat in the sweet potato. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Add the sweet potato mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat the pan in a very thin layer of oil.
- Drop the pancake batter by ¼ cups.
- When the pancakes start to bubble around the edges (about 2 minutes), flip and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, mix together the marshmallow fluff and water. Heat, stirring constantly, until well combined and the marshmallow sauce is shiny, about 5 minutes.
- Top the pancakes with the marshmallow sauce. Grate a bit of chocolate on top.