This English Breakfast Baked Omelette is designed to save you time and to feed a crowd. With this recipe, you cook 9 (or 18, if you double the recipe) eggs simultaneously. You can prepare most of it the night before, so it only takes 2 minutes in the morning to get this in the oven.
This post is sponsored by British Lion Eggs.
This English Breakfast Baked Omelette takes the UK’s favorite breakfast, and simplifies it so you can serve it at home to your family and friends without a sweat.
Cooking breakfast for a crowd (or a large family) isn’t always an easy task. But let me make your life easier by giving you this English Breakfast Baked Omelette recipe.
Keep this English Breakfast Baked Omelette recipe somewhere handy, especially during the upcoming holiday season. You’ll thank me when you have hungry relatives staying with you!
This English Breakfast Baked Omelette is a make ahead recipe for you to feed a crowd
With this recipe, you cook 9 (or 18, if you double the recipe) eggs simultaneously. Everyone gets their eggs served hot, and you get to sit down and eat with everyone all at once. That’s what I call a breakfast recipe to feed a crowd.
This is a breakfast that you can throw together in the morning when you have chatty family or friends hanging around, a toddler zooming around demanding attention (my situation), or when you are still in tired-zombie mode (also my situation).
If you want to save time in the morning, prep this English Breakfast Baked Omelette the night before. When you wake up, it’s just a matter of finishing up the omelette and popping it in the oven.
Prepare this English Breakfast Baked Omelette the night before
What can you make ahead? The night before, you can:
- Cook the sausage and the bacon
- Cook the mushrooms
- Chop the chives
- Beat the eggs
- Mix the eggs, milk, sour cream, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and chives together
- Slice the tomatoes in half
In the morning, you will just need to pour the egg mixture into an oiled pan, top with the pre-chopped tomatoes and cheese, and place everything in the oven.
Prepare the night before, and in the morning get this Baked Omelette in the oven in 2 minutes
If you prepare this English Breakfast Baked Omelette the night before, it will take you no more than 2 minutes in the morning. In fact, you’ll be finished putting the omelette together before your oven is done preheating.
Even though research shows that Brits are willing to spend 30% longer preparing breakfast at the weekend than they are during the week, this recipe is designed to save you time in the morning.
Enjoy this baked omelette and happy British Egg Week (October 9-15)!
English Breakfast Baked Omelette RecipePrint Recipe
- 9 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 small bunch chives - finely chopped (roughly 2 tablespoons)
- 3 medium-sized (5.5 ounces) pork sausages
- 5 slices (5.5 ounces) bacon - chopped into 1-cm pieces
- 8 ounces chestnut mushrooms
- 2 handfuls grated cheddar cheese
- 10 cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
- Remove the sausages from the casings (or alternatively use sausage meat). In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add in a bit of oil and cook the sausages, breaking them with a spatula as they cook. Add in the bacon pieces and cook, stirring frequently, until both are cooked through. Remove the cooked sausage and bacon from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms into the pan, and cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms have released their liquid. Remove the mushrooms, draining the liquid.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add in the sour cream and milk. Add in the bacon, sausage, mushrooms and chives. If you are preparing the baked omelette the night before, cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to bake the omelette, preheat oven to 375°F / 195°C. Liberally oil an 8 x 8-in (20 x 20-cm) baking pan and pour everything into the pan.
- Place the tomatoes, face up, across the surface. Add on two handfuls of cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the omelette is set in the middle and the cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately.