This Healthy Minestrone Soup with Kohlrabi is packed with six different types of fresh vegetables for a healthy and comforting start to the day.
Minestrone Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. I love it for breakfast because it's extremely healthy and filling. The trick is to make this pot of Healthy Minestrone Soup with Kohlrabi the night before, so in the morning, you can quickly warm up a bowl of it.
I first fell in love with minestrone soup at Olive Garden. For as long as I can remember, whenever I had a day off school, my mom would take me there for lunch. You know the all-you-can-eat salad and soup deal? It doesn't really get much better than that for me. At $6.99, you get a giant (refillable) bowl of salad, a huge (also refillable) basket of breadsticks, and endless bowls of soup that the waiter happily brings over (with tons of parmesan on top).
For this Healthy Minestrone Soup with Kohlrabi, I used six different fresh veggies: kolhrabi, zucchini, runner beans, carrots, potatoes and onions (does garlic count too?). But don't let that long list deter you from making this recipe. You can easily swap out one veggie for a different one that you might have on hand - for example, try celery, green beans, daikon or cabbage.
This Healthy Minestrone Soup with Kohlrabi is packed full of vegetables and very easy to make. I'll leave you with two important tips though. First cut each type of veggie into the same shape and size so they cook evenly, and second, stagger the time between adding each veggie into the pot, to make sure nothing is over or under cooked.
Healthy Minestrone Soup with Kohlrabi (Vegan)Print Recipe Save RecipeSaved!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot - chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium kohlrabi - cut into about ¼-inch pieces
- 1 medium potato - cut into about ¼-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini (courgettes) - chopped into half moon pieces about ¼-inch thick
- 1 14-ounce can red kidney beans
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup small shaped pasta
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 parmesan rind (leave out for a vegan option)
- 1 chili (optional)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- grated parmesan cheese - for serving (leave out for a vegan option)
- Heat a large pot with the olive oil on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onion, garlic and carrots. Sautee for about five minutes.
- Add in the stock and turn heat to medium-high.
- Once the broth boils add in the canned tomatoes, potato, kolhrabi, bay leaf, parmesan rind (if using), and chili (if using). Turn the heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat back up until the soup is lightly boiling. Add in the zucchini (courgette), red kidney beans and pasta, and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and let stand, covered, for about 10 minutes before serving.
- If using, serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.