There is a charity run that takes place in London where all the runners dress up as gorillas. Not just a little bit gorilla, but a full-on-suit gorilla, down to wearing a gorilla headpiece (and of course, a hipster sweatband). The run goes through the heart of London, across the Tower Bridge and by the London Eye and St. Paul Cathedral. It’s capped at 800 runners, representing the total number of mountain gorillas still living in the wild.
The charity is aimed to save the world’s last remaining gorillas in the wild from extinction. It does so by funding several grass-roots projects that are run by local African partners, and are aimed at tackling various threats to the gorillas’ long term survival. I’m so happy to say that my husband, Jonathan, will be one of the runners that day. Way to go, my monkey-muffin!
I can’t wait to see the city overtaken by gorilla-runners. And in the spirit of it all, I’m sharing my newest creation, which features none other than bananas!
This banana whipped cream is super simple to make. You whip the cream, add sugar and vanilla, and mix in a very very mashed banana at the end. I used a ripe banana with some good spots on it. Unlike banana bread, there is no need to use an overly ripe banana, but just one that is ripe and soft enough to mash easily. I also used my vanilla extract made with gin. And since there is no baking or cooking involved to burn the alcohol off, it essentially is like adding half a shot of gin to the whipped cream. No wonder it was good ;)
Since I recently came across these adorable french petite jars, I’ve been looking for any excuse use them. And each day I walk by a farmer that sells cute little strawberries for a quid. Naturally, those fit perfectly in the jar. On last thought, I added a some crispy sponge fingers I was snacking on into the jars too. I topped it all off with the banana whipped cream. But really, this banana whipped cream can go on anything – waffles, pancakes, peaches, banana bread, blueberry muffins, and probably even over an iced blended mocha.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1¼ cup (300ml) whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon superfine icing sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (use a homemade version for a slightly spiked whipped cream)
- Strawberries, washed and chopped into pieces
- 3 crispy sponge fingers (lady fingers) per jar
- In a small bowl, mash the banana very well, until it is the consistency of a think liquid and there are no chunks left. I used my hand mixer on the slowest setting to help with this process,
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold in the mashed bananas to the whipped cream.
- Spoon or pipe over anything!
- Break 3 crispy sponge fingers into each jar and top with a generous handful of strawberry pieces.
- Pipe the banana whipped cream over it using a large piping star.